Citizens Coalition for Change (CCC) president, Nelson Chamisa, addressed two rallies in Mutare and Masvingo over the weekend. These are some of the promises he made:
– A CCC Government will respect property rights and focus on creating an
entrepreneurial society. There will be a focus on value addition and beneficiation of local natural resources and raw materials.
-The currency will be the USD alongside a basket of currencies for a transitional period to allow for currency reform. Once the macro-economic fundamentals have been addressed and there is economic stability, confidence, fiscal discipline and productivity, a sustainable local currency will be introduced backed by gold reserves and our natural resources.
– Ours will be the strongest currency in the region and beyond. A CCC Government will implement investor-friendly policies and create a conducive environment for business, disband cartels, fight corruption and ensure politicians and cronyism do not hamper the smooth flow of commerce.
– A CCC Government will create jobs for young people so that they do not need to leave the country in a desperate search for opportunities.
-A CCC Government will prioritise modernisation of infrastructure in rural and urban areas including road rehabilitation, building and refurbishing schools, hospitals, bridges and rail networks.
– Public transport systems will be modernised to make sure they efficiently meet public demand.
-The Communal Lands Act will be reformed to make sure that communities have security of tenure over their communal lands. There is no going back on the Land Reform Programme. – – We commit to give title deeds to resettled farmers and undertake a deeper agrarian reform which prioritises productivity and security of tenure.
-The beneficiaries of the Land Reform programme will be given title to their land. Extension services and There will be rationalisation of farm holding to make sure that there is no multiple farm ownership.
-There will be reform to the Mines and Minerals Act to make sure that the mining sector is rationalised. We will address the forced displacement of citizens in Chilonga, Chingwizi, Chiadzwa and Dinde, among others. The citizens’ right to ancestral land will be protected.
-We will implement a Land Relocation Policy that balances the citizens’ right to land and the public interest. The citizens will be consulted and adequately compensated before any relocation takes place.
Liberation Struggle Values:
-The CCC espouses the values of the liberation struggle and will complete the important work that was begun by our liberators by bringing freedom to Zimbabwe. We are a continuation and punctuation of the liberation ideals. The liberation struggle was not a party project but a national project.
– The liberation movement cannot be appropriated by a political party. Citizens were at the centre of the liberation struggle and we fought for Zimbabwe not Zanu PF.
Local Government and Decentralisation of Cities:
-We are a new party and our councillors are going to form the basis of delivery-centric local government. A CCC Government will give autonomy to local authorities. Central government will not interfere with the work of urban councils and rural district councils.
– We will implement devolution and ensure local communities benefit from the resources in their area. Executive mayors will be re-introduced. Administrative functions like the processing of birth certificates, national identification cards and passports will be decentralised.
-In the new Zimbabwe, there will be a dedicated programme of national healing, truth and justice for the Gukurahundi Genocide and past crimes against humanity such as Operation Murambatsvina.
War Veterans and War Collaborators’ Welfare:
-The welfare of war vets and war collaborators will be addressed once and for all to ensure closure and a decent pension for those who fought in the war of liberation.
-A CCC Government will ensure that the dignity of workers is restored.
Teachers, doctors, nurses, civil servants and all workers will be paid a living wage that will make sure they enjoy decent livelihoods.